Saturday, September 17, 2011

I want the news not the weather!

In the description I stated that some of my pet peeves are things that people can't help. When reading about a peeve such as these you'll probably be thinking, what wrong with this troll? Well firstly HOW RUDE. And B-ly I know, I'm crazy to have peeves that people can't help but trust, you have many of your know. It can be scientifically and clinically proven using charts and a team of five doctors. One of whom will be a douche and disagree with the results! Never mind him though his bitter and works at a free clinic for carny folk!

Any hootnanny, On to my first peeve of the blog. 

Spit! I hate spit! The quickest way to gross me out is to spit at something, on something, in something or near it! The thought of spit causes me to dry heave, in fact I'm having trouble....writing....this.....post...right...now. 
Why spit you ask? and if you asked nicely, I'll kindly tell you. But remember you asked for it.

When I was younger I was very insecure (Duh weren't we all). It was important for me to hang out with people I perceived as being cool. I just wanted to be liked, and let's face it everyone does. Don't get me wrong I had heeded all the messages about being yourself and avoiding peer pressure, but when your a kid those things tend to go in one ear and pole vault out the other. 

 In order to achieve my goals of being cool, I began to hang out with a group of girls that lived down the street from me. Now at first glance these girls seemed cool. They cursed, talked about sex, watched R rated movies, which for a girl who grew up in Christian home was intriguing. I felt like I was a wildlife surveyor, studying the habits of some dangerous indigenous specie.  I was free to view their carnal ways til the sun went down and the street lights came on.Then my butt had better be back in the house, cause God only knew what would happen if my mama had to come look for me!

Many of the things these girls talked about I didn't know about and considering how old we were, they shouldn't have known about them either. What does this have to do with spiting, you ask? Firstly, way to be rude right in the middle of my story. But I guess I am bird walking a bit. I do that often. My brain just goes off on these wild tangents and it's all I can do to get back on track.


Where was I? Oh yeah spitting. 

Though I thought these girls where all that and a bag of  Funyuns (A popular saying in those days) there was one thing they did that was unsettling. They spat. Everywhere. All up and down the street, and in the grass, and  on the carports and the cars, and flowerbeds etc. (Does anyone know how to spell that whole word). At first it didn't bother me that much. So they spit a lot. Big deal. But as I began to see how so uncool these girls truly were, Their spitting became ever more repulsive. 

You know when God is trying to get your attention? First He starts off with a whisper, then a tap on the shoulder, then a push, then a smack, until finally he knocks you out cold. Long Duck Dong you're out cold. Well that's what the spitting was like for me. The more filth and negativity they forced onto my fragile and impressionable mind, the more God amplified the obnoxiousness of their spitting.

At first I didn't want to be around them anymore because I couldn't stand the idea of walking or touching something they probably spat on. But as I began to pull away from them and hang out with more positive people, I realized those girls weren't where I needed to be. 

Of course now that relatively trivial idea has manifested itself into a full blown sickening peeve. If I see anyone spit, I reject them faster then a tone deaf Idol hopeful. Guys that chew tobacco, Comedic spit takes, dental patients, teething babies! Keep it in your mouths people! I even have a hard time brushing my teeth, but the thought of all that excess saliva rolling in my mouth causes me to gag, so I involuntarily spit it out anyway.

I guess the moral of this post is, be yourself. I know easy enough, right? But when you begin to idealize other around you and try to imitate them, there will likely be a trait that you won't want. Made you realize their lairs, or abuser, or they spit a lot. Regardless it's best to focus on the positive things about yourself and use those to the benefit of others. 

  • 1 Corinthians 12:12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

  • To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.  ~e.e. cummings, 1955

  • Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.  ~Judy Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment